Senior Associate/ Head of Family Law Department
Melissa is the head of IMD Solicitor’s family law department.
Whilst leading a team of experienced family lawyers, Melissa also runs her own caseload and specialises in divorce, financial issues and settlements, children matters, child abduction and surrogacy law. A large part of her work deals with cases that have an international aspect and particularly cross-border family issues, from relocation to divorce. She spends her time covering the London, Manchester and Birmingham offices.
As a compassionate individual, Melissa is able to put her clients at ease from the very outset and has a high level of client care.
Melissa has worked on both private and public law matters including representing clients with vulnerabilities and disabilities. Melissa qualified as a Solicitor in 2013.
A Selection of Recent Successful Cases
- Represented a mother who needed to apply for a passport for a child but the father was estranged and outside the UK. Ms. Jones secured a successful outcome for her client with the court granting an order allowing the mother to apply for a passport in the father’s absence.
- Advised a respondent mother who alleged a history of psychological, emotional and physical abuse against her and the children by the applicant father. During court proceedings Ms. Jones successfully argued that the court dismiss the applicant father’s application for a child arrangements order and grant a child arrangements order to the mother for the children to live with her instead. In addition, the court went on to further grant the respondent mother permission to apply for Polish passports for her children and also to permit her application for a costs order against the father.
- Instructed by a businessman in relation to his financial settlement following a UK divorce. Ms. Jones helped her client avoid potentially costly and lengthy court proceedings by successfully negotiating a consent order which included a £1.4 million pound lump sum order and the transfer of the family home worth in the region of £2.5 million pounds. The client was very satisfied with the result.
- Advised another businessman in relation to his financial settlement following a UK divorce. Ms. Jones successfully secured a consent order whereby her client retained his business and the parties reached a clean break consent order from one another.
What do others say about Melissa?
Melissa has been recommended by our clients:
- “I have to say, you have been very professional, supportive and I couldn’t have ask for a better solicitor and as a company very understanding and extremely accommodating taking into consideration my recent family situation. I will highly recommend IMD to my colleagues and friends. Personally I will stay with you if I ever need your professional help and advice.”
- “I have a very good experience with IMD Solicitors, Melissa is so efficient and so kind and so easy to deal with that I would definitely go back and recommend to others : ) dziekuje!”
- “I would like to express my gratitude for Melissa Cunningham for legal help. I am not native speaker nad she explained to me really difficult regulations in simply way! Thank you:-)”
- “Sorted out my divorce and got me the best result I could have hoped for. Melissa was great to deal with and always kept me informed with developments”
- “I would recommend. A trustworthy office. Pleasant and reliable customer service. I am very pleased with the help I have given.”
- “I attended to a seminar recently, was performed professionally in a very friendly atmosphere. I could get so much information to be satisfied not to take or look any further. Legal advice here satisfactory and helpful. I am really amazed by the soft and respectful character of the staff.”