It may be that you wish to end an unhappy marriage or you may have received a divorce petition from your spouse. Whatever has happened, it is completely natural to start worrying about the future, your finances, your home and your children. At IMD Solicitors our international divorce lawyers are here to help.
Contact Our UK Divorce Solicitors based in Manchester, London and Birmingham
Our specialist international divorce lawyers will help you every step of the way during this difficult time. Our divorce team are experienced in divorce proceedings with an international element and financial settlements.
The UK Divorce Process
In order to apply for a divorce you must provide proof that your marriage has broken down and to do this, you’ll need to give one of the following five reasons:
- Lived separately for over 2 years (both parties need to consent)
- Lives separately for over 5 years (you can apply for divorce even if spouse disagrees)
Divorce Proceedings For A Marriage Abroad
Divorce proceedings can be brought in the UK, regardless of where the marriage took place (i.e abroad). However, to file a divorce petition in the UK, one of the following must apply:
- Both spouses live in England or Wales with intention of permanent residence
- Both spouses have lived in England or Wales with the intention of permanent residence, and one of you still lives here
- The spouse that has filed the divorce petition lives in England or Wales but has the intention of permanent residence
- The spouse that has filed the divorce petition has lives in England or Wales for at least 12 months